Anime Review Fall 2010 Season:
In the middle of October, I pledged to watch and review each anime show of the Fall 2010 season that was subtitled in English, and give each one a pass/fail grade -- and I've reached my goal. I did the same thing for the Spring 2010 and Summer 2010 seasons, for anyone interested.
Out of the dozens of shows, I was able to find 35 different shows that were subtitled. Out of those, a total of 13 shows received a thumbs up. Here is a really quick recap of the reviewed shows, based on the FIRST EPISODE VIEWED ONLY (links included to the reviews below):
Highest recommendation: MUST SEE TV!:
- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - Easily the most controversial and most un-anime-like show of the season, either you love it or hate it, there's very little middle ground. But the gamble paid off, and it's a hit!
- Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (SoreMachi) - Yeah, the jokes are a bit simple-stupid, but it's fun to watch and the broken-voiced main character just nails it.
- My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute (OreImo) - Interesting despite the potentially disturbing undertones.
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Invasion! Squid Girl) - Sleeper hit of the season. Adorable light-hearted humor.
- To Aru Kagaku no Railgun Special (OVA) - Just like watching an episode of the series.
- Letter Bee: Reverse (Tegami Bachi Reverse) - Wish they'd get on with the main story.
- Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi (OVA) - Well-done re-visioning based on the manga instead of the anime series.
- Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) - Fujoshi overload!
- Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge (Second season) - Picking up right where the first season left off.
On The Fence: - Watching for now, but I may drop before the series completes.
- The World God Only Knows (KamiNomi) - Stupid and annoying but with potential.
- Psychic Detective Yakumo (Shinrei Tantei Yakumo) - A suspenseless mystery show.
- Bakuman - Fodder for manga artist wannabes.
- Otome Youkai Zakuro - Positively gorgeous artwork.
Slight Thumbs-Down: - Includes shows that may be decent by not within my interests, or shows that I might be convinced to give a second shot if enough people recommend them.
- Yumeiro Patisserie: Professional (Second season) - Cute and inoffensive.
- Tamayura - Also cute and inoffensive. And boring.
- To Aru Majutsu no Index Season 2 - Continuing with all the most annoying aspects from the first season.
- You Are Umasou (Rawr! You are Delicious!) - Kid's book adaptation.
- Hakuouki: Hekketsu-roku (Second season) - As pointless and boring as before.
- Megane no Kanojo - For glasses freaks only.
Thumbs-Down: - Terrible, just terrible.
- MM! - This is the type of show that anime-haters use as an example why anime is awful.
- Fortune: Arterial - Harem anime...with vampires!
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes - Water-headed magical girl show.
- Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls - Stylish, but otherwise a total loss.
- Robin With His 100 Friends (R+100F) - Preachy kiddy show.
- Agriculture Girl (3-minute net sample) - Pointless and unfunny.
- Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Special (OVA) - A show about absolutely nothing, with weird super-deformed designs.
- Air Gear: Break on the Sky (OVA) - Super-powered in-line skates? Uh, yeah.
- Da Capo D.C. P.S.P. I and II Bonus (OVA) - Incest for beginners.
Oh Dear God Why Does This Even Exist? - You watched it, now you can't unwatch it!
- Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto - Confusing giant robots, only MORE FABULOUS!
- Iron Man - An inauspicious start to Marvel's line of anime shows.
- Motto To Love-ru: Trouble - Low-grade harem pap.
- Yosuga no Sora - Hooray for incest!
- Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector - No clue what's going on, and I don't care.
- Seikon no Qwaser (OVA) - Boobs, boobs, and more boobs.
...And finally, the Wild Cardz Memorial Prize for the Worst Show of the Season goes to...
- Sora no Otoshimono Forte - It was a very close call between this incomprehensible horny harem show and another, Motto To Love-Ru. But in the end, There Can Be Only One!, and I think the gratingly annoying main character pushes it over the top.
There's still a bunch of shows that were never subtitled, but there's still a chance some of them might see the (English) light of day. There were also three shows that I did not review: Koe de Oshigoto (pure porn), Pokemon: Best Wishes (As if this would be any different from the past decade of Pokemon shows), and Togainu no Chi (yaoi). If any more shows from the Fall 2010 season debut after today, I'll tackle those as they become subtitled.
So, what's next? I'm in the middle of reviewing the second and third episodes of all the shows that received a thumbs-up. Also, two shows from the Summer 2010 season are still going on (Legend of Legendary Heroes and Shiki), plus one show that comes out quarterly (Broken Blade). I've also uncovered a handful of shows (mostly movies and OVAs) from earlier in the year that I never covered, and a bunch of Winter 2010 series from the beginning of the year that I'm not going to fully review, but check out. And in about two weeks, the Winter 2011 season starts up. Oy!